Monday, July 07, 2008

Gold Coast HM - 34th in 1:13:09

Ran a very easy 5km on the treadmill on Saturday night and woke nice and early on the Sunday after not really sleeping when Maggie woke us all up at 3:10am. Eventually got to the start after a panicked boat trip across Broadwater from Sea World (they didn't know where to dock which meant we were bobbing about in the water for about 15 minutes). Went through the pre-race rituals and put myself on the second row as I didn't want a mad sprint start.

Tried to keep it easy in the first km (the leaders went off amazingly quickly) but still clocked 3:11. 2km was reached in 6:34 and 3km in 9:58. I was a bit concerned by this as I realised I was averaging only 3:24's and it felt tougher than I was hoping for. At this stage our group of 3 (which coincidentally included Noureddine Benfodda, the chap from New Caledonia that I ran a large part of the Sydney Half with last September) was about 100yards behind a big group of 5, and from leading our mini-group I was now hanging on as they upped the pace to try to catch them. Missed 4km, 5km was 16:39 (i.e. down to 3:20s) and 6km was 20:03. Between 7 and 8km we got within 25 yards of the group in front but I was struggling and got dropped. This was the big mistake of my race as they never got any closer (other than one bloke who was later spat out) and the other 2 chaps in my mini-group caught them by 9km. 10km was reached in 33:33 and I was still feeling pretty confident of a 71 on the basis I could drift a minute on the way back and still make it. But I guess that's the wrong mental attitude to have. As soon as I turned at the 10.5km mark we hit a strong headwind. I caught one bloke at 12km and tried to push straight on past him but he kept on sticking to me. I'd then duck in behind him to shelter from the wind and he seemed to drop the pace significantly so that it felt as though I was clipping his heels the whole time. I guess this was the effect of the wind but it was bloody annoying. I clocked splits in the 3:40s and was just frustrated. At times I felt as though I could push the pace but then couldn't really find any rythmn. 15km was reached in 51:28 (a 17:55 5km split!) and I was thoroughly pissed off at this stage. From being 27 seconds ahead of schedule I was now 28 behind. To rub salt in the wounds, the two leading ladies came past with a pacemaker at 18km. This was a bit of welcome relief. They were clocking solid 3:30kms and so suddenly the pace lifted without much more effort. Being Japanese, they weren't the best windshields but their pacemaker was. I don't think he was intending for me to take the benefit of this though. Still, it's dog eat dog out there. Drifted off their pace over the final km when I was very tired and limped across the line.

Only saw Dave Sweeney at the turnaround mark having set off on a flyer. Sounded like he struggled as much as I did in the second half to clock a 72:26 after a 32:55 at 10km, which gives a bit of incentive for C2S. He doesn't look 46, must be dodgy birth records like they have in Kenya. Most of the HuRT squad struggled too - Durante in 75:10 (like me, a very similar time to SMH), Kanser in 77:02, Tim L in 79:35, Tiger in 79:50, and MC finishing in the low 80s.

The wind obviously had a significant impact but a few of us from the squad will have a chat about whether we're doing the correct training at the moment. I feel as though I could currently run a much better 5km than Half. This was borne out by Serg's performance. After a great run last week at Scarborough Park he was disappointed not to get under 32 in the 10km (32:16). Will definitely keep up the Wednesday long runs before City to Surf last year as they worked last Spring.

Great to catch up with so many people before and after, it felt like a local race.

7 comments:

Serg said...

You Should have just posted.

GC HM - Everyone from the HuRT Squad ran terrible except for Terrence in the Marathon.

Matty said...

G'day Tom,

Just read your account after linking from Sweeney's blog - a good read and I too had the problem of running into the back of people I was trying to draft. As I just posted on Sweeney's blog, the wind was 20-30km/ph most of the day but peaked at 46km/ph from 7-7:30 as the pointy end of the half field was running back to Southport and running in the exposed stretches. The win cost most of us at the pointy end 30-60 seconds.
Cheers
Matt

Superflake said...

That wind is always a killer for us skinny runs. Ok maybe not me at the moment, but you are. Come and run Sutho 2 Surf always fast downhill on July 27th. Big event in Serg's backyard.

David said...

Tommy,
Good to meet you and some of the boys. I never imagined you'd be so aristocratic with a real upper crust accent! A pleasure to hear.
Train well, 4 weeks to C2S!!

Anonymous said...

Sutherland to Surf. Superflake has it spot on. That is precisely what you need to run. Great call Flake. I can see a sub-31.30 for you for the first 10km.

PB

Serg said...

Your Spot on Superflake, I wish I was here for S2S it's my favourite race. Tom you should definetley do it.

plu said...

Hi Tom,


I recognised you too late for a photo- good running.

cheers PLu